Sneh Roy is the creator of Cook Republic. She is a real inspiration to me both in food styling/ photography & in recipe development. I often flick through her cookbook, Tasty Express, and scroll her website cookrepublic.com for easy, delicious influential fare.
This recipe for Apple Strawberry Pie Muffins is one of Sneh’s, that I & the family just love. These muffins taste like a warm fruit pie – perfect for those cold rainy days. Made with wholemeal spelt flour & rapadura sugar (see note about this unrefined sugar), they are nut free and are great for breakfast, a perfect lunchbox treat, or a substantial afternoon snack.
Made with wholemeal spelt flour & rapadura sugar (see note about this unrefined sugar), they are nut free and are great for breakfast, a perfect lunchbox treat, or a substantial afternoon snack.
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
¼ cups (185g) wholemeal spelt flour
½ cup (60g) coconut flour
⅔ cup (150g) rapadura sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon mixed spice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or 1 teaspoon vanilla powder)
Pinch of salt
grated zest of 1 small lemon
100g butter, melted and cooled
3 organic eggs (approx. 60g each)
180 ml water (room temperature)
1 red apple, peeled, cored and cut into small cubes
8 strawberries, hulled and finely chopped
20g rolled oats, to scatter
Extra rapadura sugar, to sprinkle
- Heat oven to 180C (350F).
- Line ten holes of a twelve hole standard muffin pan with paper cases.
- Place spelt flour, coconut flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, mixed spice, salt, vanilla and lemon zest in a large bowl. Toss gently to combine.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a balloon whisk. Add butter and water. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the wet mix to the dry mix. Mix gently using a wooden spoon. Add apple and half of the strawberries. Mix gently until just combined.
- Spoon muffin batter equally into the paper cases. Top with remaining strawberries. Scatter oats and top with a sprinkling of rapadura sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until cooked through and well risen. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
- Muffins can be eaten warm with a dollop of butter. They can also be frozen for up to one month. They will keep in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I use a conventional oven setting. For fan-forced ovens, reduce oven temp to 160C.
Rapadura Sugar is an unrefined sugar. It is the result of the pure juice extracted from the sugar cane (using a press), which is then cooked to evaporate off the water, whilst being stirred with paddles. It is then sieve ground to produce a grainy sugar. It has not been cooked at super high heats and spun to change it into crystals (like other sugars), and the molasses has not been separated from the sugar.
The natural molasses content means more of the natural nutrients remains. It is produced organically, and does not contain chemicals or anti-caking agents.
Basically, it is truly unrefined, so if you're going to have sugar - this is the one to have!! It is available