Angela is very excited to be bringing a series of Italian Regional cooking and baking workshops each month to celebrate her Italian heritage.
“I am so excited to be continuing this journey through the regions of Italy, with our next stop at my parents province of Calabria. I’ve invited my mum, Mafalda Palermo, along to help me showcase a traditional Calabrese dish called Sugo al Ragu con Fusilli (Meat sauce with Fusilli pasta). I grew up eating & loving this dish which I now make for my own family and which they now love too!
One feature common to many Calabrian pasta doughs is the absence of eggs. Angela & her mum will demonstrate how to make an eggless pasta dough and workshop attendees will get involved and help shape the pasta dough to make Fusilli – which is the signature pasta shape of Calabria.
Then the Calabrese duo will demonstrate how to prepare & cook the most traditional Calabrese sauce for fusilli which is Sugo al Ragu, a tomato sauce inflused with the flavour of braised meat.
This is part demonstration & hands-on class.
What you’ll learn.
- A brief on the region of Calabria, Italy;
- You’ll hear stories about Angela’s mum (Mafalda Palermo) of growing up in Lago, Calabria Italy, and how she moved to Australia;
- How to make (by demonstration and hands-on) a traditional Calabrese dish – Sugo al Ragu con Fusilli pasta.
What you’ll get.
- Morning tea on arrival;
- An authentic demonstration and hands-on experience on how to make an eggless pasta dough and traditional Calabrese pasta shape Fusilli;
- An authentic demonstration on how to make Sugo al Ragu (a meat sauce);
- Take home recipe and notes from the day;
- To share in a sit down lunch eating our Calabrese dish – Sugo al Ragu con Fusilli;
- Drinks served throughout the day.
What to bring.
- A big smile
- Wear comfortable closed-toe shoes
- A large container – just in case!
Minimum 5 participants.
The Village Cooks is located Sylvania, Sydney (26kms south of Sydney City, 12kms from Sydney Airport).