“As a child, I spent many hot summer weekends with my Italian parents preserving tomatoes for Salsa di Pomodori (Tomato Passata) & Pomodori Pelati (Bottled Peeled Tomatoes). We would preserve thousands upon thousands of tomatoes which would see us through many plates of pasta al sugo or ragu for the year – until the next hot summer, when tomatoes were in abundance again”. Let Angela take you on a journey back to when she grew up and learn those traditional Italian tomato preserving methods! This class is both hands-on and demonstration.
Angela Palermo, founder & teacher of The Village Cooks, trained as a pastry chef and has worked for the likes of Rachel Grisewood, Lorraine Godsmark, and Andy Bunn.
Her cooking and baking is heavily influenced by her Italian heritage and growing up in a family that grew its own food and created dishes from their own produce. Angela shares her love of simple, home-style cooking & baking with students at her cooking school The Village Cooks & teaches Pasta Classes & Italian Inspired Lunches at Cornersmith, Sydney.
What you’ll learn
- How to authentically preserve tomatoes in traditional Italian ways:
- Salsa di Pomodori (Tomato Passata)
- Pomodori Pelati (Bottled Peeled Tomatoes)
- Tomato Relish
What you’ll get.
- Morning tea on arrival with coffee/tea/drinks;
- Take home recipe and notes from the day;
- Learn the art of authentic, traditional Italian tomato preserving;
- Preserving glass jars & bottles to take home your preserved tomatoes;
- Share in a light lunch;
- Sample some preserved tomato products;
- Drinks provided throughout.
What to bring.
- A big smile
- An Apron
- Wear comfortable closed-toe shoes
- Additional preserving glass jars incase we have left overs.
Terms & Conditions for this event:
- There is a minimum of 6 participants for this class. We reserve the right to cancel a class up to 48 hours prior to its date if we do not have enough bookings. This class will not be held if there are fewer than 4 participants (or otherwise specified), and in this case, your money will be refunded or transferred to another class at your discretion.
- Classes are non-refundable, however if 7 days notice is given, a credit will be given to attend a future class. If you do not wish to attend a future class, you may send someone else to attend the class in your place. Please let us know if this is going to be the case and the details of your replacement.
The Village Cooks is located Sylvania, Sydney (26kms south of Sydney City, 12kms from Sydney Airport).