In quiet, leafy suburbia – Oatley, Sydney – Edmonds & Greer sits contentedly on the corner of Mulga Street & Mi Mi Street.
A friend introduced me to this Home Decor – Gift Shop – Cafe a few years ago for a coffee & treat. I’ve been back a few times since for brunch and shopping, and most recently with my little Freya to try lunch on a Sunday.
It’s very busy on the weekends especially for breakfast and brunch, so I recommend early arrival or even call ahead to reserve a table. They have both outdoor & indoor seating, and there are 3 sub-rooms in the cafe offering tables for parties of 5 to 8.
It is a casual cafe which has good fare. The menu is not big (which I like) and offers some appealing meals.
For Breakfast (served between 8am-12pm) I liked the look of:-
* Granola – crunchy housemade muesli served with berry compote, natural yoghurt and milk for $12
* Toasted Breakfast Panini – with bacon, rocket, fried egg, avocado, tomato & aioli $16.50
* Corn & Haloumi Fritter – with avocado, rocket and housemade chilli jam $13.00
For Lunch (served between 12-12:30pm) I liked:
* All the assortment of sandwiches. I sampled the Poached chicken breast tumbled in a fresh herb & lemon mayo with celery, slivered almonds & rocket on toasted white sourdough for $12.50. The addition of the celery and slivered almonds were texture & flavour winners for me.
They also offer more substantial meals. The following would interest me:
* Slow braised shredded lamb shoulder with a salad of beetroot, lentils, roast carrots, Perisan feta, pepitas, rocket and sherry vinaigrette $22.
* Duck filled ravioli with a mushroom chasseur sauce (a French brown sauce), wilted spinach & toasted crushed pistachios $23.
They also have a specials board which changes weekly.
For the kiddies they offer a $10 deal – Ham & cheese mini roll with a kid’s size milkshake & choice of cupcake or scoop of ice cream. Freya had this and the mini roll was a tasty Italian panino cut in half.
They have a tantalizing rustic dessert table with in-house made luscious sweets. I was able to fit in a coffee and a treat this round – a cinnamon scroll – so yummy.
The service was rushed and not very attentive. Enough said there!
The magnetism of this cafe for me is the location & the atmosphere (and the menu to boot). I always feel relaxed when here (despite the
crowds). The decor assists in creating this mood with pale creams & French country chic furnishings. The Home Decor & Gift Shop attached to the cafe is a lovely diversion after your brekkie or lunch – filled with many impulse purchase items.
Edmonds & Greer
Home Decor Gift Shop Cafe
97 Mulga Road, Oatley
Ph (02) 9585 8177
Mon – Sun 7:30pm till 4pm