These filo parcels are so scrumptious and easy to make. Great for the whole family (the kids will love them) as a midweek dinner.
You can substitute the ingredient combinations to suit your taste – try lamb mince instead of beef, and why not employ other vegetables like corn kernals, red capsicum, pumpkin, and so on.
Truly versatile. Serve them with a tomato salsa and salad of cucumber, red onion, and iceberg lettuce.
Scrumptious filo parcels of beef, mint, pinenuts & feta.
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
500g Lean minced Beef
2 tsp Olive oil
1 large Brown onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 tsp Cumin, ground
2 tblsp Coriander, fresh, chopped
3 tblsp Mint, fresh, chopped
60gr Roasted Pinenuts
½ bunch Spinach, cooked, drained and chopped (OR 150g Peas, frozen)
3 medium Potatoes, peeled and chopped
200g Greek Feta, chopped into pieces
10 sheets Filo pastry
85g Butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 200oC. Heat oil in a frying pan and add the onion, garlic and cumin and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Then add the minced beef & stir until beef starts to brown.
- Then add mint and coriander and stir through. Take off heat, place into a large bowl and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in one pot and spinach in another pot (or peas if you prefer). Drain the potatoes when cooked and mash leaving chunks. Drain the spinach when cooked and allow to cool before squeezing out all water and chop.
- Add the mashed potato, roasted pinenuts, feta and spinach (or peas) to the beef mixture and combine well.
- Lay out a sheet of filo pastry and brush with melted butter, then place a second sheet on top and brush with butter again.
- Cut the large sheet of pastry into 4 strips of about 7cm wide and place a heaped tablespoon of beef mixture at the top end of each strip. Then fold diagonally to form a triangle. Continue to fold over until you use up the whole strip.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and brushed with butter. Brush the top of each triangle with a little melted butter.
- Make triangles in this way until all the filling/strips are used up.
- Bake for 10mins or until golden brown.
Serve with a spicy tomato salsa or a mango salsa and salad.