It’s the Easter long weekend and that means overeating for the Palermo family.
I’ve sat the pack of mylanta’s on the kitchen bench anticipating indigestion for Monday evening. It starts with Good Friday evening seafood buffet, progresses to Hot cross buns and Chocolate Easter eggs (all weekend), then continues with Easter Sunday family lunch (5 course degustation!!) and ends with leftovers for Monday. I’m loosening the belt buckle just thinking about it!
But I’m getting ahead of myself and need to mention how much I love the preparation prior to the weekend and that means spending time with my little Freya in the kitchen creating Easter treats. This year we made Orange Polenta Easter Cookies coated in Dark Chocolate Ganache. They are so easy to make and takes no time at all. The cookie dough is made by simply beating butter, pure icing sugar and orange zest till combined, then stirring in plain flour and polenta till it forms a dough. That’s it!
You then roll out the dough till 5mm thick, cut out Easter shapes using appropriate cutters (in this case, I used an egg, a chick and a rabbit Easter shape cutters) and bake. To decorate, get the kids involved and paint each cookie with dark
chocolate ganache (stir warm pouring cream with dark chocolate to form a chocolate ganache). It will get messy but will be loads of fun especially for the munchkins! Please view printable recipe below.
The zest of orange in the biscuit combined with the dark chocolate coating is heavenly. Additionally, the polenta in the cookie results in a crunchy texture which I love and allows a break from the overload of chocolate Easter eggs! Freya painted the cookies with the chocolate ganache and had so much fun licking her fingers.
May you all have a lovely Easter and enjoy the festivities with your friends and family.
The zest of orange with the dark chocolate coating is heavenly. The addition of the polenta in the cookie allows a crunchy texture which I love. These are so easy to make and so much fun to prepare with the kiddies.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
125g Butter, unsalted, softened
2 each Zest o f 2 oranges, fine or thick – optional
110g Pure Icing Sugar, sifted
185g Plain flour, sifted
55g Castor Sugar
For Dark Chocolate Ganache
200g Dark Chocolate (70%)
100g Pouring Cream
- Preheat oven to 180c/160c fan. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Beat butter, zest and icing sugar in an electric mixer until just combined. Then stir in the polenta and flour.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 1 minute or until smooth.
- With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough until 5mm thick. Using Easter shape cutters cut dough and place each shaped cookie onto the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until light golden colour.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- For the Ganache, place cream in a small pot and heat till just warm.
- Pour warmed cream in bowl with chocolate and stir till chocolate sauce is formed. If mixture cools too quickly and chocolate has not melted, then sit bowl over a bowl of hot water and stir till chocolate melts completely.
- Using a pastry brush or palette knife, coat each cookie with the Ganache.
- Decorate with Royal Icing.