This Poached Pear & Frangipane Tart is divine and perfect for a winter dessert.
Serve this great dessert warm with maple syrup and a scoop of your favourite gelato/ice cream.
You will need to follow a few easy steps such as poaching pears and making frangipane – (recipe also available on this site)
I have recently posted a recipe for making Frangipane on my blog. You will need double the amount of the recipe posted.
Poached Pear & Frangipane Tart is a divine winter dessert - perfect served warm with a drizzle of maple syrup and a scoop of ice cream
25 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 25 Total Time
250g Butter, unsalted, room temperature
250g Ground Almond meal
250g Pure Icing Sugar
4 whole Eggs
2 Egg Yolks
50g Plain Flour
4 ripe Pears, peeled and core removed
100g Castor Sugar
2 Cinnamon quills
3 Star Anise
2 thinly peeled Orange rind
- Place softened butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachement. Work the butter until smooth.
- Sift the ground almond and icing sugar into the bowl with the butter and beat on low to medium speed (2-4 on KitchenAid) until very pale in colour and fluffy.
- Lightly beat with a folk the eggs and egg yolk. Then, while butter mixture is beating, slowly add in the eggs - about 3 to 4 lots. Ensure to stop and scrape the sides of the bowl before adding more egg. When all egg is added, it should look creamy, pale colour and fluffly.
- Remove bowl and fold in the flour - don't over mix!
- It is ready to use for tarts, cakes, and so on.
- Place in a medium sized pot, castor sugar and water. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add to the pot the cinnamon quills, star anise and orange peel rind. Allow to simmer on medium heat for 1-2 mins.
- Add the peeled and de-cored pears to the pot and then cover with a round piece of baking paper to sit over top of pears.
- Turn heat to low and allow to simmer for 15-20mins or until pears are soft through.
- Drain and allow pears to cool.
- Preheat oven to 170c and grease & line two rectangle tins (25cmx17.5cm) with baking paper.
- Evenly spread the frangipane between the two tins.
- Cut the poached pears into thick slices and lay them in two rows on top of the evenly spread Frangipane in each cake tin (note - don't press the pears down into the frangipane).
- Place into the preheated oven for 35-45mins or until golden brown and springs back when lightly touched.
- Allow to cool in tin for 5 mins and then remove from tin and baking paper and sit on cooling racks.
- Cut into 6 pieces per tin and serve warm with maple syrup and a scoop of gelato/ice cream.