I’m an avid reader of the food magazine, Gourmet Traveller, and in this months edition (January 2014) there is some fantastic summer barbeque ideas.
In particular, I liked the Pork sausages with caraway seeds, cabbage and apple slaw recipe. This recipe is highlighted as a ‘quick meal’ – a fast, flavour-packed dinner that hits the table in 30mins! Prefect! I decided to prepare it for the family’s evening meal.
Results – it did only take 30 mins and it was full of flavour! Gourmet Traveller are true to their word. I followed their recipe closely – only changing a few steps and the use of thick Italian pork and fennel sausages (instead of thick pork sausages). I enjoyed the texture of the cabbage and apple (soften slightly) and the all flavours toiled well together.
Great summer barbeque recipe! Original recipe by Gourmet Traveller adapted by Angela Palermo
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
2 tsp Caraway seeds
350g Cabbage, cut into shreds (optional - can use mandolin or food processor)
100ml Apple cider vinegar
1 tblsp Caster sugar
50ml Extra Virgin Olive oil
1/2 each Pink Lady apple, cut into julienne and toss in lemon juice to prevent discolouration
1 tblsp Dill, coarsely chopped, plus extra to serve
6 each thick Italian pork and fennel sausages
6 long white hotdog buns
Sea salt and black pepper, for seasoning
Hot English mustard to serve (optional)
White onion to serve (optional)
- Heat a barbeque or char-grill pan to medium heat.
- Using a small pan, dry-roast caraway seeds on medium-to-high heat until fragrant (about 1 min), then transfer to a mortar and pestle, coarsley crush and set aside.
- Place shredded cabbage in a large bowl.
- Dissolve caster sugar in a small bowl with the vinegar and then add to the bowl of cabbage.
- Then add oil and season with sea salt and black pepper and allow to sit until cabbage starts to soften (about 5 mins).
- Add drained apple, dill and caraway and toss to combine.
- Meanwhile, grill sausages on barbeque grill until cooked through (about 6 to 8 mins).
- Grill buns cut-side down until toasted, then spread with butter and mustard. Top with sausage and slaw then with white onion (optional). Finish with some extra dill and serve.