I love to tinker in the kitchen, especially when there are no plans for dinner.
I move to and fro between the fridge and the pantry choosing ingredients to play with to create a flavoursome meal.
Mostly I pull it off but there have been a few disasters, which are ok – it’s a way to develop a discerning palette I say! Moreover, I feel that this process builds your culinary confidence and is a great way to utilise all that you have available – avoiding wastage.
Today’s recipe of Salmon, Red Onion & Coriander cakes is one of my successes! It happened a few years ago and it was a hit with the family. My love of Thai fish cakes and my partiality towards the flavour combinations of red onion, sweet corn, mashed potato, sweet chilli sauce and coriander were its driving force. Additionally, this meal is so easy to prepare, takes hardly any time, and is baked rather than fried allowing a healthier method of cooking. Furthermore, you could alter the ingredients of this recipe to suit your own preferences. Why not try it with grated carrot? How about adding thinly shaved iceberg lettuce? I know sounds crazy but it works.
These delicious savoury cakes are great for lunch on the weekend served as a burger; or perfect for a midweek evening meal with salad & condiments of sweet chilli sauce, a dash of lime juice, & yoghurt.
This meal is so easy to prepare, takes hardly any time, and is baked rather than fried allowing for a healthier method of cooking. The flavour combination of salmon, corn, red onion, potato and coriander is a winner the whole family will love!
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
420g tin Pink Salmon (or can use Red Salmon)
5 each Medium size potatoes (any variety you prefer), peeled, cut into quarters.
1 each Red Onion, finely chopped
420g tin Corn Kernels
½ bunch Coriander, chopped
½ cup Fresh breadcrumbs (wholemeal)
Extra breadcrumbs for coating
½ cup Sweet Chilli sauce
1 each Egg
Sea salt & cracked black pepper for seasoning
- Preheat oven to 170c. Line a baking tray with baking paper and spray base with olive oil.
- In a medium saucepan, add potatoes and cover with water. Cook on medium to high heat until cooked through. Drain well and then mash. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl; mix together salmon, red onion, corn kernels, coriander, fresh breadcrumbs, sweet chilli sauce, egg and seasoning.
- Add cooled mashed potato and combine till comes together.
- Roll hand fulls of mixture into round patties/cakes and toss through extra breadcrumbs. Then sit on tray.
- Place in oven and bake for 20 mins or until golden colour and cooked through.
- Serve with salad, a dash of lime, yoghurt and sweet chilli sauce.