It has been raining where I live (Sydney) for nearly two weeks now. It’s been grey skies, wet, cold and dreary. Have you been experiencing the same where you live?
Add to that lingering coughs for the whole family and you have what I call the blues! Freya (my little 2 year old) misses the park and her little friends and I’ve exhausted all games. Consequently, that’s when I turn to baking!
Not long ago, I read an article called “How to be Happy on a Dreary Day”. It was in a health and well-being section from one of the weekend papers (therefore accurate scientific information) and one of the recommended ways to cheer up was to bake! The theory behind it was that the structure, precision and repetition required in baking improved focus and alleviated stress, in a similar way to gardening or knitting.
It went on to say that the added benefit of warming up the kitchen and providing some comfort food, plus sharing your baked goodies with family, friends and neighbours would only serve to increase good vibes. Whilst this editorial was not hard proven evidence, I’d have to agree with it and say that it works for me every time.
Yesterday (being a rainy day of course) I decided to make a very quick and delicious muffin recipe – Yoghurt & Berry Muffins. This recipe takes no time at all to prepare or to bake and you’ll more then likely have the ingredients on hand. Within 40 minutes you will have warm, soft, fluffy muffins to devour with a cup of tea or coffee. So if its raining where you are and you’re feeling the blues – bake some Yoghurt & Berry Muffins!
I love baking in any weather, but it is especially fantastic on cold, rainy days. The oven does warm up the house; and our bellies with the baked goods. It doesn’t have to be fancy and I find it is a great way to have fun with
the kiddies too! Frey loves to mix and lick the bowl as we go.
This recipe takes no time at all to prepare or to bake. Within 40 minutes you will have warm, soft, fluffy muffins to devour with a cup of tea or coffee.
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
Serves 6 – 8 Texan muffins or 12 standard muffins
75g Butter, unsalted
100g Natural Yoghurt, Greek style
200g Plain flour
50g Brown Sugar
2 tsp Baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
100ml full-cream milk
100g Strawberries, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 200C and line a 6 Texan muffin tin with paper cases (note: you may need to utilise two Texan muffin tins). Otherwise use a 12 mould muffin tin.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and allow to cool slightly.
- In a bowl mix together yoghurt, milk and egg, and add the cooled melted butter.
- In another bowl, mix together all dry ingredients – flour, sugar, baking powder and bicarb soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture – mix lightly.
- Fold in the blueberries and strawberries.
- Spoon mixture into muffin cases and bake for 20-25mins until golden brown and firm to touch.
- Cool on a wire rack or eat warm.