This cake is a Greek version of a pound cake and is traditionally called Yiaourtopita (I just call it Yoghurt Lemon Cake!).
There is a hint of lemon but the real flavour powerhouse is the Greek yoghurt which additionally results in a rich and moist cake. It is important to use full-cream Greek yoghurt!
I serve this cake dusted with pure icing sugar but it will also work well with fresh berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries) or a dollop of cream. You can even pour a lemon syrup over the cake to increase the intensity of lemon flavour and moisture. The visual affect given by using a fluted ring tin never disappoints – there is always a “wow” or “oooh” when I serve it to my guests. And those sounds of appreciation continue with each bite! It’s a piece of cake.
This scrumptious cake is a Greek version of a pound cake but with much more flavour and moisture due the lemon rind and full-cream yoghurt. You and your guests will love it!
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
6 each Eggs, separated
250g Butter, unsalted, room temperature
330g Castor Sugar or White sugar
2 each Lemon rind
420g Natural Greek yoghurt (full-cream)
450g Self-raising flour, sifted
3 tsp Baking Powder
Pure Icing Sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180c. Grease and flour a 26cm diameter fluted ring tin.
- Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of sea salt until soft peaks form – then set aside.
- In an electric mixer and using the paddle attachment (medium spd), beat the butter with the castor sugar until pale in colour and creamy (about 1-2mins).
- Add the egg yolks one at time and ensure mixed through before adding another. Scrape sides of bowl after every 2 egg yolk additions.
- Then mix in the lemon rind and Greek yoghurt on low to medium spd until combined.
- Then add the sifted self-raising flour and baking pwd. Mix on a low spd just until comes together.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter – mix 1/3 of egg whites first and then the rest.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 40-45mins or until a skewer removes clean. Once baked – allow to sit in cake tin for 5mins and then turn out on a cooling rack.
Serve dusted with pure icing sugar and a side of mixed berries or cream.