This recipe is my mum’s and she cooked it often when we were growing up. ‘Spaghetti Fritti’ means fried spaghetti and with the inclusion of eggs, it resembles a large frittata. Essentially, it is another way to dish up pasta – in cake size pieces – a novelty for all, especially the kids!
Mum’s recipe includes red onion, garlic, bacon (or ham), parsley, and parmesan cheese, but you can change or add ingredients to your taste. Why not try with chunky pieces of your favourite sausage or caramelised fennel & prawns.
Your family and/or guests will love it presented whole on a large serving plate and then cut into cake size pieces. Serve with a salad or cucumber salad.
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
250g Spaghetti (#5) Pasta
1 tblsp Olive oil
1 large Red onion, chopped
1 to 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
160g Bacon rashers or Ham off the Bone, chopped into chunky pieces
½ cup Parsley, fresh, chopped
40g Parmesan Cheese, finely grated (plus extra for topping)
4 each Eggs, lightly beaten
- In a large pot of boiling (salted & olive oil) water, add spaghetti pasta. Allow to cook until al dente (about 5 to 7 mins) and then drain and drizzle with a little olive oil to prevent pasta sticking together.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan and add the onion - sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic, stir and cook for a further few seconds.
- Then add the bacon (or ham). Cook for 2 mins or until cooked. Take off the heat and allow sit aside.
- In a large bowl, place in cooked/drained pasta, cooked bacon mixture, parsley and parmesan cheese and toss to combine.
- Then add in the lightly beaten eggs – ensure that the eggs coat all the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a heated pan, over medium heat, and flatten top to create an even surface.
- Using a spatula, check that the edges of spaghetti omelette are not catching or burning. Then when bottom is golden brown, place a round plate (large enough to cover the omelette) over the top, place hand on top of the plate and flip pan over – spaghetti omelette will turn onto the plate. Place pan back onto the heat and slide the spaghetti omelette into the pan. Allow to cook for further 2 mins or until golden brown on bottom.
- Finely grate parmesan cheese on top and cook for few seconds until slightly melted.
- Slide onto a serving plate. Cut into cake size pieces and serve with a salad or cucumbers cut into pieces and tossed with olive oil and sea salt.