Pasta Frolla Italiana
Italian shortcrust pastry
There are many recipes and methods to making shortcrust pastry. Some recipes have high content of butter and egg yolk suitable for savoury shortcrust pastry and others include sugar, either caster or pure icing sugar, for a sweeter shortcrust pastry.
A high butter content and the addition of egg yolk gives savoury shortcrust pastry and sweet shortcrust pastry the fine, crisp, melt-in-the-mouth texture and rich flavor. Methods can include combining crumbs with fingertips or pulsing in a food processor. I say whatever works for you – then great! I have a few recipes and methods that are a piece of cake and here’s one of them.
20 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
Pastry: Italian Shortcrust Pastry (Pasta Frolla)
• 100g Butter, unsalted, cold, diced
• 60g Pure Icing Sugar, sieved
• 220g Plain Flour
• Pinch Sea Salt, fine grind
• 1 Egg, yolk
• 1 Egg, whole
• 1 each Vanilla Bean or 1 tsp of Vanilla Bean paste
- Method: Italian Shortcrust Pastry
- In a large bowl & using your fingers, gently rub together the flour, butter, icing sugar, vanilla bean seeds and a pinch of salt until fine crumbs form (or blitz in a food processor).
- Combine egg yolk & whole egg by lightly beating together with a fork and then add egg into the crumb mixture and gently mix till it comes together. Turn mixture out onto a clean surface and lightly bring together by hand to form a rectangle thin shape.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate to rest at least 1 hour or overnight if possible.
- Then roll out into your desired shape.
Baking method can be both blind baking first or raw pastry put into shape in tin with filling and baked!