Amaretti are Italian biscotti – biscuits! They are chewy on the inside and crunchy on the outside.
Traditionally, these beauties are great to have with coffee, but I have to say that I love them anyway – cup of tea, coffee, on there own! I love eating full stop!
There are so many ways to make amaretti! Each region of Italy makes their own version (very popular in Southern Italy and Sicily where almonds grow in abundance) ranging in texture from dry and crisp to moist and soft! I use Caster Sugar in my recipe as I like the crunchy texture it creates on the outside and soft inside! If you are after a softer exterior just substitute the Caster Sugar with Pure Icing Sugar.
Amaretti are so easy to make! You’ll never buy packaged ones again!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
200g Ground almond meal
200g Castor Sugar
3 tbls OR 70g Egg Whites
10g Lemon zest (fine)
10ml Aroma Almond Liquid or Essence
20g Icing Sugar
20g Almond nuts, halved
- Preheat oven to 150c.
- Place 20g almonds on tray and roast in oven (150c) for 10mins. Sit aside to cool, cut in half and set aside for use at end.
- In a bowl add almond meal and castor sugar.
- Add lemon zest to bowl.
- Add Aroma liquid or essence.
- Make sure to lightly whisk egg whites to allow easy handling. Add egg whites to bowl – start with 1 tblsp and mix though. Add more egg white slowly until dough mixture sticks together, is soft enough to handle, but stiff enough to hold its shape.
- Using your hands, weigh 40g mixture (or there about) into a rough looking ball (note: have small bowl of water to keep hands damp making easy to handle mixture). Place on tray lined with baking paper and using hands again, squash down ball till it flattens to disk shape – 1cm height and 6cm wide diameter. Place on tray as per picture. Ensure to have 4cm space between each one.
- Sift icing sugar on top of each biscotto.
- Place almond halves on centre of each biscotto. Let stand at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours to allow drying before baking.
- Place in oven. Start baking process by following intervals:-
- - Check first 20 mins. May be light colour on outside and bottom. Continue baking process.
- Check after another 10 mins. May still be light in colour, if so; continue baking for another 2-3 mins or until golden tan colour. Desired texture is crunchy outside and soft centre.
- Take out and leave to cool on cooling racks.